.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Future Imperative

What if technology were being developed that could enhance your mind or body to extraordinary or even superhuman levels -- and some of these tools were already here? Wouldn't you be curious?

Actually, some are here. But human enhancement is an incredibly broad and compartmentalized field. We’re often unaware of what’s right next door. This site reviews resources and ideas from across the field and makes it easy for readers to find exactly the information they're most interested in.

Name:

The future is coming fast, and it's no longer possible to ignore how rapidly the world is changing. As the old order changes -- or more frequently crumbles altogether -- I offer a perspective on how we can transform ourselves in turn... for the better. Nothing on this site is intended as legal, financial or medical advice. Indeed, much of what I discuss amounts to possibilities rather than certainties, in an ever-changing present and an ever-uncertain future.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Surviving the End of the World (Your Choice of Apocalypse) - Part II

*
This post should actually be Part I.V of this extended article, but I just wanted to add a quick note to the original piece. I commented earlier on the Imagestream forum:

Here's another thought I've shared in these "dystopian future" discussions on the same forum:

"One interesting question worth considering with any potential, massive disruption of the world's status quo is whether or not such desperate times would actually force people to change some of their bad habits in response. Frankly, there's a lot of things that individuals would never consider doing willingly -- living with another family, working in a community garden, recycling all resources, learning to build and maintain alternative energy sources -- that they would jump on in a heartbeat in order to survive.

"To me that's the biggest possible "plus" to any truly disastrous or disruptive event -- that perhaps more lives will be saved in the long run by forcing people to reject self-destructive strategies in favor of ones that actually, demonstrably *work.*"

Once I've gotten my thoughts down, I'll send some initial thoughts to the list on practical measures that could be used to enhance our daily living/economic competitiveness/local quality of life while also making us better prepared for major disasters, and enabling us to contribute to staving them off.


That's all I have for now, but the brainstorming mentioned above is, rest assured, in progress. I'm terribly fussy where my own survival is concerned, much less with that of my family and friends.

Soc
Future Imperative

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home